Saturday, August 27, 2016

Update - Part 1

One of the things I have learned on this journey, is that writing about your child, especially one going through a harder than average existence is hard. What is harder is telling their story as a teen. Thus the break. As many of you know the suicide rate for transgender youth is alarmingly high. I have felt for the past 5 years like I am holding my breath...afraid to breath, to look away for a moment, for fear of the worst. We have had some very very dark days and I'm sure there will be more to come, but I feel now we have navigated the path into adulthood and our family is grounded, well and more and more healthy each day.

Cory is now 19 and doing amazing! I am a proud grateful mom.

He has graduated high school. Is in recovery from addiction, having successfully completed an in patient treatment program after three attempts. Has navigated heartbreak and depression. And now has his first job, and just got another job where he gets to talk about hockey.

I am bursting with pride and eager to start telling his story again. Hopefully he will join in too.

No comments:

Post a Comment