Saturday, January 12, 2013

A year as Cory

As some of you know, about a year ago Cory began his journey to transition to male. Over this past year I have not written much, largely out of respect for the privacy he has wished to preserve around his journey. Being a teenager is tough enough. Being a transgendered teen is even more difficult.
Over the past few months or so, Cory himself has said several times, "we should blog about this!"
The stories are funny, sad, and sometimes angering.

I am very happy to report, we are planning to begin to blog more regularly about Cory's journey, and my journey being his mom. One comment I got a while back, pointed out the I am "nothing special" being the mom of a trans-teen. To be clear, I don't claim to be a 'special' or above-average mom.
Cory would be the first to tell you, I am uniquely flawed as a mom.

Where I do not falter however, is in how much I love and admire my child. He is a brave, wonderful kid, deserving of kudos - not me. Over the past year, he has not only transitioned into a strong, confident young man, he has become a trans activist and a mentor to many other trans, gender-fluid, and gender questioning kids in our community. I can't wait to tell you all more about him and his journey.

1 comment:

  1. Nicole, I don't care what other people say, you are special. So many parents and adults choose not to support their children in this journey. I'm not saying it takes a special person to do what you're doing (if only it wasn't so special!), but anyone who must swim upstream just to give their child the life they deserve is special in my book.

    ReplyDelete